Thursday, August 24, 2006

Hogwart's School of Law

I recently read the Harry Potter saga. Not the sort of books that I would ordinarily read, but my wife insisted that I would enjoy them. And as much as it pains me to admit, she was absolutely right. I also discovered that a surprising number of law students read Harry Potter. After thinking about it for a while, I realized there are a lot of similarity between Hogwarts and Law School. I won't go into the details (if you are a Harry Potter-reading law student, the parallels should be obvious to you), but I think there should be more...

For instance, why don't we have "houses"? We already have "sections" - it shouldn't be too hard to convert them into "houses". Each law school could have 4 houses, and they could be named after supreme court justices, or prominent alumni from the law school. Class participation might even improve if we were competing for the house cup - professors could keep track of the points... "Bad form Mr. Weasley, I would expect a 2L like yourself to know all about the reverse commerce clause... 5 points from Scalia House!" Can you imagine?

Moot court would be a ready substitute for Quiddich - the competitors would don blazers and ties with their house colors and crest before entering the courtroom. What would the crest for Scalia house look like? Perhaps it would have a wolf... (see ,e.g., Morrison v. Olson 487 U.S. 654, 699 (1988) (Scalia, J., dissenting)). All the 1Ls would secretly hope to be the youngest advocate for their house in over a century. All would turn out for the final round of moot court where Easterbrook House (wearing gold blazers with purple ties) would loose the moot court cup to Cardozo House (sporting cerulean blue w/ yellow and white striped ties).

Just a thought...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home