Thursday, May 04, 2006

One Way to Blow Off Steam During Exams

As any of you in law school in Alabama know, this week is smack dab in the middle of that yearly torture known as final exams. More than 1 law student has been known to run shrieking from the room in terror before the exam even starts. I remember walking into my first exam during my first year and wondering who had died. The room was eerily quiet like in a horror movie just before the killer jumps out from behind the door and stabs the scantily clad woman, causing all but the most seasoned movie patrons to jump in their seat (don't deny it, you jump). People were feverishly reading through their outlines. Some had ear plugs so they could not hear anything, others had heavy metal or rock blaring, and I am sure that a few in the room had motivational tapes ("You can do it. You will not run out screaming and waste your tuition money. You are the smartest person in the room.") and prayers going in the headphones (I hear the pope has a lovely law school blessing). I put my stuff down and left the room quickly. I was not happy to be taking exams but I also knew that if I treated it like a funeral, it might just become one.
Since first year, exams have not become less stressful but, like getting multiple shots at one time, you get used to the pain after a while and learn to cope with it. So, in the middle of this exam period I had one afternoon when I actually did not feel compelled to study. So, what did I do? My wife and I went for a walk...in a pouring rain storm. No, it was not pouring when we left, just threatening (although I was pretty sure when we left that we would not return wet merely with sweat). When we got around 1.5 miles from our house, the bottom fell out and we got soaked. It was wonderful. My wife and I were laughing, we jumped in puddles, and, for about 15 or 20 minutes, I forgot that I still had to take another final.
So, for those of you stressed out over work or finals or some other reason, look at the weather forecast (I can tell those of you in Alabama that it is supposed to rain this weekend) and time your walk accordingly. You won't be sorry you did (unless you get sick, in which case I disclaim all liability for myself and this blog).

3 Comments:

Blogger Shrimp Boat said...

I tried to drown myself in a puddle after my last exam. Does that count?

5:39 PM  
Blogger Lt. Dan said...

It wasn't a puddle of some sort of adult beverage was it? That seems to be a popular method of blowing off steam during exams or any other time for many law students.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Bubba said...

Were you wearing yellow galoshes?

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home