Thursday, May 04, 2006

Fairwell, Uncle Louie

Growing up, my dad was in the financial services business. This meant that every night when he came home we as a family would all sit down and he would watch CNN Headline New's 30 minute looping segment for at least 2 hours (OK...he never really watched much except the part about the stock market but he would get mad if anybody wanted to change the TV; to this day he still claims that he does not watch too much TV but if you try to change the channel he complains).
Friday was a special night. When he came home we would all go out to a local steak house buffet and have dinner. We always went early because we had to be back for 1 television show that we never missed: Wall Street Week. Every week for probably the first 10 years of my life we watched that show. I can still hum the tune to the opening song and can remember how Louis Rukeyser, the host, would say "I'm Louis Rukeyser, this is Wall Street Week. Welcome back." While I did not understand a word of what was said (I was usually playing with toys or fighting with a sibling at the time), I grew used to "Uncle Louie's" soothing voice every week.
I learned that he died on Tuesday at the age of 73 (click here to read the story). Sadly I never met the man, but I felt like I knew him. Who knows, all those early years of listening to him explain financial markets and interviewing prominent CEO's might have made me into the free market conservative I am today. Anyway, I just thought that he deserved a tribute. So farewell Uncle Louie. You will be missed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ping-Pong Paddle said...

For a moment there I thought you were talking about Lou Dobbs. Thank goodness you and your dad have far better taste than that. Long live Cavuto.

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home