Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Worst Show on TV

Gilmore Girls is in a league of its own as far as bad TV. Some shows have good plots with bad actors; others have bad actors with good plots; this show has bad actors and a bad plot. The show revolves around the relationship between a mother and a daughter. The daughter goes to Yale (can you see how this is shaping up to be the typical American family already). The grandparents are old and very rich. They also don't like each other so they live in opposite wings of the house. Yes, I know what you are thinking: this sounds just like your grandparents.
While I am sure you are drawn in by the set up I have just described, what will really get you watching is the portrayal of emotion on the show. I have seen over 5 episodes (I would have preferred a root canal but dentists are closed when the show comes on; I am hoping that those 5 hours of my life will be credited against my time in purgatory).
In none of those episodes did I witness even a hint of real emotion. A typical exchange would go like this:
Daughter: Mom, I am thinking about dropping out of school.
Mom: Don't.
Grandfather: I also went to Yale and you should too.
Grandmother (dead pan with no facial expression or emotion): I hate you [grandfather's name].
Thrilling television. If you have done some egregious act, like committed a murder or voted for John Kerry or Al Gore, watch this show and I guarantee you will be granted at least partial absolution for your sins. Otherwise, I recommend the Home Shopping Network.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home