Friday, April 07, 2006

Diversity or Lack Thereof

First, I must admit that this post might not be to the liking of all but that shall not stop me. Today, I attended the University of Alabama Awards Ceremony. As a law student, I had no idea that this week was awards week but a friend of mine's little brother was receiving multiple awards so I was asked to attend. The beginning of the ceremony announced that this banquet was the biggest event of awards week and that the 4 big senior honor societies would be tapping new members. It didn't take me long to notice something quite odd about the inductees, which numbered between 25-50 per honor society (there were repeats). What I found odd was that I only noticed 1 African-American being inducted into any of the 4 societies. Though I did not count the entire time, if there was more than one African-American there was definitely less than 5. As I left what was quite a nice ceremony, I just thought about how far we still have to go with regards to race. I must admit that I am far from a liberal or a fan of affirmative action but I can't imagine that the so-called "4 biggest honor societies" on campus shouldn't have more than 1 or 2 African-Americans. By the way, these honor societies were not based on grades but rather on leadership and contributions to the University, which makes the absence of African-Americans even more staggering. Perhaps there is a minority honors event as well, but it still seems that in the 21st century we should be able to honor worthy individuals from all races at the same ceremony.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bubba said...

What are you trying to say - that black people can't make good grades? That is what you seem to imply in your penultimate sentence...

11:56 AM  
Blogger Ping-Pong Paddle said...

Easy there Bubba. My point was that it wasn't a hard and fast grade deal where you get a 3.0 you get in. In my opinion, the fact that these societies were chosen based on character traits and service to the University and not simply one's GPA makes the lack of blacks even worse.

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home