Thursday, March 30, 2006

Recruiting Lessons

Though I do not pretend to be an expert on sports, I have come to the conclusion that I know more about basketball than Mark Gottfried and more about football than Mike Shula. Well, maybe not more about the sports, but more about recruiting. If I were the coach of either team, I would make a mandatory requirement for recruiting.
For basketball, I would promise not to recruit anyone who cannot dribble. I don't care if this high school great with tons of "upside" is 7 feet and can jump out of the gym, he must be able to dribble and pass. On this year's Alabama team, I was forced to watch our team play with 2 of 7 scholarship players who cannot dribble (Brock and Felix). This has been bugging me for a while so I thought I would vent.
For football, I would promise not to recruit wide receivers who cannot catch the football. I don't care if a guy runs a sub 4.0 forty, it doesn't matter how open he is if he can't catch. I'll take the 4.7 forty with great hands any day even if he doesn't have "upside." Possession receivers ala Hicks Poor and Chad Key are always good to have on a team.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home